The toxicity of the amaryllis

A precautionary principle that applies to all plants:
All house plants should not be within the reach of young children. Some of them are very toxic. If your young child has eaten part of a plant, consult a health professional immediately.

All plants of the Amaryllidaceae family exhibit a certain toxicity level. So the amaryllis is a toxic plant. All parts of the amaryllis are harmful and particularly the bulb. The amaryllis contains alkaloids such as hemanthamine, lycorine the tazettine. These toxins can cause nausea, diarrhea and vomiting. However, you need to consume a good amount of the bulb to be seriously intoxicated. The young children are most at risk.

The amaryllis is also toxic to small pets like cats and dogs. Following ingestion of a part of the amaryllis, the animals can suffer from salivation, diarrhea and vomiting. The amaryllis poisoning is rarely fatal.

The toxicity  of the Amaryllidaceae's alkaloids has properties that can be exploited in medicine. The amaryllis has also anti-inflammatory effects.